Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Super Bowl at Daytona

Another season kicks off on Sunday. Just in time.

As a kid, we used to always watch the Daytona 500 and some other races if they were on ABC's Wide World of Sports on Sunday afternoon. Those were the days of the the king, Cale Yarborough, and Darrel Waltrip. A time where stock cars actually looked like cars on the street and the drivers were tough guys that threw their helmets at each other fought each other after a race.

Up until a few years ago, I had a passing interest in stock car racing. It never really clicked with me - until I went to see a race. My son and I went to the Busch series race at Kansas Speedway three years ago and I got hooked.

I guess it's a primal connection of sorts. The same connection that you feel when you're driving - just driving for the pure joy of it. And become driving has become utilitarian, many people have either forgotten or never experienced the joy of the pure freedom that driving affords our most basic of instincts - that of life and death. After all, you control your destiny on the road. You choose the level of danger, the route, the way you interact with the environment and others you encounter.

Stock car racing is a true sport. Competition between groups where teamwork is key. Fast cars on hot asphalt powered by finely tuned engines that scream. You can't really imagine the sound unless you've heard it from a 20 yards away - a cross between Godzilla's howl and a jumbo jet. Athletes of a different sort that have heightened senses, strength, and eye/hand coordination that rivals the best home run hitters.

If you haven't tried it, give it a run. You might get hooked.

2 comments:

  1. I will never forget Talladega April 2009. What a race!!! To see Carl Edwards flip into the fence on the last lap was fun!!!
    I will never forget the noise of 43 NASCAR's going 200 mph all in a bunch not even 6 inches away from each other!!!
    I will also never forget June 2007 when I went to the Richard Petty driving school and drove one for 8 laps!!! I am excited for Sunday. Boogady boogady boogady let's go racing boys!!!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grand daddy of racing sports stopped because of a pot hole!!! That is like stopping the Super Bowel because the goal posts cracked or all the balls went flat. What a disappointment!!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete